What Is The Role Of The State Agency?

What is the Role of the State Agency Blog

The Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP) and the Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) are federal programs of the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA). These programs are administered in each state by a state government agency such as the Department of Education or Department of Human Services.

According to federal regulation 7 CFR 226.6(a) each State agency must provide sufficient consultative, technical, and managerial personnel to:
  • Administer the program;
  • Provide sufficient training and technical assistance to institutions;
  • Monitor program performance;
  • Facilitate expansion of the program in low-income and rural areas; and
  • Ensure effective operation of the program by participating institutions

Contact your State Agency:

  • For questions about sponsor applications or annual renewal
  • For assistance in finding a sponsoring organization
  • For annual training materials or options
  • For resources on CACFP and SFSP regulations including recordkeeping and meal pattern requirements
  • For procurement or budget guidance
  • For questions regarding administrative reviews

How to Participate in the Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP)
and the Summer Food Service Program (SFSP)

There are two ways for your organization to join the food program:


A sponsor is an organization that facilitates your participation on the CACFP or SFSP. They assist you in claiming reimbursement for meals and snacks served and help ensure compliance of regulations and recordkeeping. Some sponsoring organizations provide food rather than funding and can assist your organization in obtaining meals and snacks at no cost. Family child care homes must participate on the CACFP under the direction of a sponsor. Contact your State Agency for a list of participating sponsoring organizations in your area.


Independent child care centers, adult day care centers, at-risk afterschool programs, or emergency shelters can contract directly through their State organization for participation on the food program. Contact your State Agency directly for next steps.

How to Locate Your State Agency

My Food Program has made it easy to locate the agency in your state that is responsible for the administration of the Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP) and the Summer Food Service Program (SFSP).